mardi 23 janvier 2018

Something different...


In the flow of cars, it's time for a break and something different. I've took some time this past week-end to finish the concrete pad for my River Raisin Poage water crane. The crane was repainted and wheatered in 2016. Before she was dismantled from the support plate, I know that I need a concrete one to fit. That's what I did. The concrete pad is a 3 mm MDF sheet with Monster Modelworks Cocnrete glued on it. The edge were slightly rounded and the whole was primed with Citadel Corax White primer (a really good primer used by wargamer). Then two thin coats of warm gray acrylic, a followed by a wash of turpentine with a hint of black and raw umber, when dry, a dry brush with undiluted warm gray and Naple yellow, and the basic wheathering was done. The crane was assembled with the pad and the crane base was wheathered with some rust wash. Add some greenish tone here and there for the moss and it was finish.
But why a Water Crane? Did a little terminal ever had such a water crane? Such a detail scream "steam" to me and I'll have steam on my layout. But in the late 40's and early 50's the closest watering point on the district was in Perris. Some photos were made there, and what a marvelous atmosphere that I want to duplicate on my layout. I really want this kind of detail for long. I've bought this crane from BTS back in 1998 during a visit to Florida and she stayed most of the time in her box. Fortunately, all was not lost because a water crane existed in San Jacinto. A track chart from the late 1910's showed one with inspection pit and a carbody next to the track. OK, it's modelling licence for my era but I really need one on my layout! So...
See ya'


The "concrete pad" before painting. The laser engraving from photos of the Monster Modelworks part is incredible.


The first wheathering step



The final wheathering is done. The photo does not shows that the whole is more on the warm side.

dimanche 21 janvier 2018

Building a fleet-Part 4-The end

After a gap due to job assignement, the wheathering process on the Milwaukee 40 footer resumed. It received a wash of Polly Scale Railroad Tie Brown and Engine black diluted with an alcohol window washing product very much like Windex. On the roof Polly Scale Wheathered black was added to the mix to obtain this greyish hue I like (and I've seen on so many 40's and 50's freight cars photos). I don't have invented this technique. I'am really indebted to Jim Six who popularized it on his former blog (on MRH). I've just adapted it to my needs and products availabality on this side of the pond.
Trucks were repainted in Polly Scale Milwaukee Road maroon and then wheathered with AK Interactive products like Light Dust deposit (AK 4082). I've lightly added some of this wash on the lower side sills and on the lower ends to dust them lightly. I've then mounted the Sergent couplers and On3 rubber brake hose and that's pretty much done. Next time something very different is in the pipeline. See ya'






dimanche 7 janvier 2018

Building a fleet-Part 4 1/2

Continuing the wheathering process...


At a slow pace, really! Just some chipping with acrylic colors as seen in photo 1 (except the one at left used for the roof) , and some rust streaks with Mars red oil color.




No dilution for the oil, just straight from the tube and drawn down the side with a 2/0 brush. Next step the wheathering washes. See ya'

dimanche 31 décembre 2017

Building a fleet...Part 4


 Milwaukee Boxcars...Again!


Some will say that I'am much more of a Milwaukee fan than a Santa Fe one! The 50 ft is one of my first brass I've owned in the 90's and like all my older rolling stock it endured some different wheathering jobs but I've always focused on a layout quality to speed up the process for a fleet (even of modest size like mine). The latest wheathering to date on this car was done around two or three years ago and the basics were the same I will apply on the 40 footer on the foreground. For the record, and the purists, I'am pretty sure the Milwaukee emblem is not right for the late forties and on this particular class of car (much more at home on pre-war full lenght rib-side probably) but I want to have one with this feature so....
My philosophy for a layout quality model is that it must be quick and easy, and the methods used lend to an homogeneous finish in my car stable, yet with individuality. That said a car treatment must not exceed two or three hours, a perfect time for an evening of work. Wheathering rolling stock could be a great hobby in itself, but my goal is still to do a layout not an RPM challenge (with all the respect I have for the marvellous results seen there).
I always begin with the roof, and the chipping associated with . The chipping is done with a small paintbrush (2/0) and a metal acrylic paint not diluted. When I began using this technique 15 years ago (from what I've read in the military modelling press), I loved using Santa Fe silver from Polly Scale. But with the discontinuance of this brand, I've settled on a Matt Aluminium acrylic (A MIG 194) from the spanish brand Ammo-Mig. It's even better than my beloved Polly Scale! It took me around 40 minutes to do the roof at a fairly slow pace (seasonal flue will not help). In a next post we'll see the sides treatment and the whole wheathering of the car.
Until then happy new year to the few that read this blog. See ya' next year.